Style of Music: Folk/Pop
Short Bio: “Caitlin Lucia is a California native that uses her talented pop voice and love for the folk genre to create a unique music experience.”
Where are you from: Orange County, CA
What do you do: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
1. What made you want to be a musician for a living?
Music just comes naturally to me. I got my first paid gig when I was 15 and I was hooked ever since. It never is about the money, it’s about the people I meet, experiences I have and every gig I learn more and more about my craft. It’s like a paid rehearsal.
2. It’s common for musicians to be out of work for long periods of time. How can you supplement this time without work? How can you transition out of this period as quickly as possible?
Getting paid gigs to make a living is hard to keep at a consistent rate. I always try to plan in advance and already have my schedule for the next month. I think it’s very smart to be consistent with talent buyers and booking agents so that way they don’t forget about you.
3. As an independent artist, what have you done to successfully create music that competes with major label big budget artists? What would you have done differently? What advice would you give to other independent artists when budgeting funds?
Just write, write, and write. That’s where it’s at in the music industry. They not only want an image, but a great musician and songwriter. Being a musician is an investment because you put a lot of money into your craft. Such as studio time, merchandise, equipment, etc.…
4. How important is the choice studio/engineer when it comes to recording the music that means the most to you?
Very important! I have been recording at Clear Lake since I was 15 years old with Eric Milos. It’s important to work with a studio/engineer that knows your sound and what you want. It makes the process go by quicker and smoother (especially when you are on limited time and budget) We work so great together and I always learn something new when I go into the studio.
5. How important is image? How has social media played a role in your image and your career? What advice would you give to other independent artists?
Having an image and social media is very important. Social media is how you connect with people all over the world. It is very beneficial when it comes to the music industry and building a fan base. My advice is to find a unique style and image to market yourself as an artist and stick with that so people remember you and your style.
6. How do you go about making connections? What is the importance of the connections you make? How do you utilize them?
Making connections can be very difficult in the music industry. I believe you have to be persistent and consistent with talking and emailing people. You have to be pushy and make sure people don’t forget about you.